Sunday, November 17, 2013

Partying: Paul's 2nd Birthday

We celebrated Paul's second birthday yesterday -- my how the year has flown!

As I said last year, this year I was not going to give myself fits getting his party ready.  Thankfully his love of tractors and farm equipment gave me a lot to work with that was readily available.  Hello, barn party!

We used one of the barns on the farm that stores hay.  It conveniently had both round and square bales already there.  I soon discovered that the hay barn is a very convenient "indoor" playground.


Pat drove a tractor down that morning and parked it in the barn. 


The indoor foliage you see is actually poison oak (eek), but it was in the right colors, so we went with it.


We used the square bales for seating (covered with a little fabric), hung a few balloons, and set up the food.


The party started off with presents.  Paul (and especially Clara) couldn't wait to start opening!  Paul got a lot of different tractors, which suited him just fine!  He also got some farm gear - boots, overalls, and an Auburn shirt (it's Alabama's ag school!), along with a nice set of truck books.  Of course all these fine new toys meant that he didn't have time to eat!  I think he did eventually slow down long enough to nibble a piece of fish and shove down some cake.









And last, but definitely not least, he opened the 1:20 scale combine.


 

So what did we eat? (Let's get to the important stuff!) 



Let me translate some of it: silage = coleslaw, "diesel fuel" = slightly sweet tea,  and moo juice = milk. Haybales = rice krispie treats and the dirt on the dirt cake was chocolate butter cream frosting with crushed chocolate animal crackers on top.





 Singing "Happy Birthday" went off without any tears (and yes, I'm referring to your 2nd birthday, Keri).


You didn't think I could just make a plain chocolate cake now, did you?

 

 The rest of the time was spent playing.



 We got a few cute posed pictures suitable for framing, too...





Check out the end-of day tractor line-up.  Quite a haul!

 

Happy Birthday to my big little boy, Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment