Friday, December 28, 2012

Partying: Lumberjack style


 For Paul's first birthday, we had a Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Party.  I'm finally getting around to sharing the details of the party.  Let me first say that the weather was perfect!  That really helped make it a fun time.



Isn't that an awesome bonfire?  I have to thank Pat and his boy-scout skills for making that happen.  The main event for the party was the bonfire where we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows.  While that added a lot of ambiance, I still added a few other touches to make it a birthday party over just another weenie roast.

 

The party was out under the group of cedar trees in my mother-in-law's yard.  Why?  Cedars are evergreen and it was November!  That tree canopy made the party feel right.   I strung some Christmas lights in the lower branches for some extra twinkle.  Note Uncle Ray in the background sharpening our roasting sticks. 



The table had a big stack of firewood layered over a thrifted plaid blanket.  Tea lights in canning jars provided a little extra lighting for the table. 


I made the burlap banner that said "Happy Birthday."  It's just squares of burlap cut out and sewed (folded over and zig-zagged at the top) to braided twine.  Using Clara's finger paints, I painted the letters on.  Easy.


For the food, we had hot dogs (that we cooked over the bonfire) and kettle chips.  There were jars of ketchup, mustard, and relish to embellish the 'dogs,' and also some grated cheese.  I ordered disposable bamboo plates to enhance the lumberjack theme.  Oh and we had some pretzel sticks that reminded me of logs.






Then there was the s'more station with graham crackers, hershey bars, and campfire-sized marshmallows.


Clara had to inspect the marshmallows.  (She's standing on our cooler of IBC Root beer and Cream Soda.)


The mushroom meringue cupcakes will have a post all to themselves.
 


Then we sang to the birthday boy!



No comments:

Post a Comment