Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gardening: Fall 2012

Most of my fall garden is in.


I know it doesn't look like much right now, but I'm so excited about it because we actually prepared for it like all the magazines tell you to (but we never usually do).  Pat hauled in loads of composted calf bedding that I made my raised beds from.  (Black gold! Hey-oh!)  We also "sheet mulched" the pathways, i.e.: laid down cardboard and then mulched on top to prevent weeds.  We also sheet mulched an adjacent area to prepare for spring planting.  Then we added the irrigation system (reconfigured from our spring garden).  I feel so with it!  (That's unusual these days.)

I planted lots of greens: Kale, Mustard and Turnips.  Irrigation action shot below (ha ha!)



There's also a row of carrots and a half-row of garlic.  I wanted to plant shallots but all I have are seeds (and from what I've read on the internet, seeds are best planted indoors in January-ish around these parts).  Waiting patiently.



No comments:

Post a Comment